1. The new monoclonal antibody-based test (Helicobacter pylori urease [HPU]) provided rapid and qualitative detection of HPU. 2. The HPU detected H. pylori urease in the presence of atrophic gastritis or intestinal metaplasia. It was unaffected by gastric aspirate ammonia or pH levels.
1. The cut-off α-fetoprotein (AFP) value for early-stage hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is 17.4 ng/mL. 2. As a diagnostic tool for HCC, a cut-off of 100 ng/ mL is more sensitive than one of 200 ng/mL, with similar specificity and positive predictive value. 3. AFP still has a role in the diagnosis of HCC, and an appropriate AFP value may be 100 ng/mL rather than the previously reported value of 200 ng/mL.
1. This study demonstrates that comorbidity of diabetes mellitus or metastatic malignancy, age ≥ 65 years and hemodynamic instability during hospitalization are risk factors of 30-day mortality in patients with nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding. 2. Early death was mainly caused by hemorrhage, whereas death after hospital discharge was mainly caused by patients’ comorbidities.
1. Of the 1,031 patients, hepatotoxicity occurred in 10.5% of patients who received antituberculous therapy. 2. The majority (67.6%) of hepatotoxicity events appeared within the first 30 days of treatment. 3. Earlier detection of hepatotoxicity enabled patients with antituberculous treatment to maintain the first-line drug regimen compared to later detection.
1. CHADS2 score may be capable of reflecting the severity of coronary artery obstructive disease and early diastolic dysfunction. 2. CHADS2 score showed a predictive value for cardiovascular and cerebrovascular events in acute coronary syndrome patients with documented coronary artery disease regardless of atrial fibrillation.
1. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ (PPAR-γ) agonists are known to have anti-inflammatory effects in chronic airway disease. 2. This study demonstrated that rosiglitazone inhalation has a protective effect on developing asthmatic airways through inhibiting Toll-like receptor 4 signaling pathways in an ovalbumin-challenged chronic asthma model. 3. Intranasal administration of the PPAR-γ agonist rosiglitazone may have therapeutic potential in asthma patients with few systemic side effects.
1. There is a positive relationship between the components of metabolic syndrome (MS) and thyroid nodules in an ostensibly healthy Korean population. 2. A recent increase in thyroid nodules is partly due to increases in both MS and obesity.